Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Entry # 7 Research on Bridge to Terabithia

When I chose to reread bridge to Terabithia, I really didn’t believe my annotations would lead me to further research. But as I thought of the Main Ideas of the book, I wondered if anybody else thought of my idea…as a main idea. So I started researching in class, and I found a very interesting and unusual piece. It seemed to be a study guide for the book, by the author of the book, Katherine Paterson.
I thought about her inspiration toward the book, then to my experience towards the book. Not that I thought they would be the same, but I knew I could reflect on my understanding based on what I was really  rereading about. Growing into deeper understanding with this guide, I found out that the main idea of the book was to create a similar plot to another well known fantasyland, one that we all call NARNIA. And I haven’t ACTUALLY read the series, so I found this a bit interesting. As it brought back memories of the movie, I thought that it made perfect sense. It was exactly what I thought had been missing. A huge comparison that I can make a text to self/text to world/ and text to text connection about. Since 1) the text to self connection would be herself thinking about the book, and how bridge to Terabithia was being similar. The 2) would be a text to world connection, a fantasy land that everyone knows about, a very open popular choice, and 3) the text to text connection that I can make, which is this guide, that provoked many thoughts ahead of my expectations for this. In this study guide, not only does it just give “just a little” info on the book, but it gives a few questions on reflection. I answered them mentally, in not a very involved way. But I do think if I would’ve had it in my hands before, I probably would’ve counted it, probably as part of my annotations!
This is an essay written by somebody in 2005, about the main ideas of the book. I enjoy how they include a lot of information based on their focus. As he/she says “Jesse’s family is quite poor and high strung.”. This, in a way, stood out to me because that is exactly how I thought about jess and his family at first, always being like that.
 But then I did some more research on the Katherine, and it calmed one of my many frustrations. Which was why in the world, she said, the word LORD a lot! There was no pg. In the book written without the word. It because one of my pet peeves without a doubt! But thinking deeper into her writing I found out that it is exactly what makes her craft unique. So I actually think it helps me think that writing is expressed in different ways including uniqueness, similarities, vocabulary, and connections. So research was a good way to help me continue my journey throughout this week, and recognize  some type of appreciation toward a new side of the book. Not just a fun filled book, but an intentional deep connection book where people can realate easily, and enjoy. Just as I did.

2 comments:

  1. great work, um... celina is it? im j.k, seriosly amazing work, shows and reflects on how much you researched. I like how you have a response to every part of research you have, nicee :D

    ReplyDelete