Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Remember Me? (writing Prompt)

Remember Me?
My name is Gossip.
I have no respect for justice.
I maim without killing. I break hearts and ruin lives.
I am cunning, malicious and gather strength with age.
The more I am quoted, the more I am believed.
I flourish at every level of society.
My victims are helpless. They cannot protect themselves against me because I have no name and no face.
To track me down is impossible. The harder you try, the more elusive I become.
I am nobody's friend.
Once I tarnish a reputation, it is never the same.
I topple governments and wreck marriages.
I ruin careers and cause sleepless nights, heartaches and indigestion.
I spawn suspicion and generate grief.
I make innocent people cry on their pillows.
Even my name hisses.
I am called GOSSIP.
Office gossip-Shop gossips-Party gossip-Telephone Gossip. I make headlines and headaches.
REMEMBER, before you repeat a story, ask yourself:
Is it true? is it fair? Is it necessary??
If not, do not repeat.
KEEP QUIET.
GREAT minds discuss ideas...
Average minds discuss events...
Shallow minds discuss people...
Which are you?

By Ann Landers


This poem is about gossip, obviously. But it transports so fast, especially in school. Middle school, rumors are started faster than it takes you to snap. And everybody knows everything and anything before you can even blink. I think how much gossip you take in and let out can affect your coming of age.
The poem says gossip ruins your reputation, but I think coming of age comes with it too. There's a quote that says "All people love gossip until it's about them.:" I don't know who it's by, but it's definitely true.
 Gossip can lead you to so many things:
1) lies
2) hatred
3) misunderstandings
4) misinterpretation
5) losts (losing friendships)

And these are all things we wanna stay as far away from, as much as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment