Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Sharon Olds in Her younger years
This is the author of a very diverse poem. A poem that is written with some kind of emotion that I can't seem to find. But I can tell she understands. She understands what the girl from the photograph is going through, everything. She explains the photo from many perspectives, helping me get an idea of what it looks like. What it feels like. In my head, she see the girl clearly, I see it in black and white, lifeless colors,but very strong at the same time. Here is the poem:

The girl sits on the hard ground,
the dry pan of Russia, in the drought
of 1921, stunned,
eyes closed, mouth open,
raw hot wind blowing
sand in her face. Hunger and puberty
are taking together. She leans on a sack,
layers of clothes fluttering in the heat,
the new radius of her arm curved.
She cannot be beautiful, but she is
starving. Each day she grows thinner, and her bones
grow longer, porous. The caption says
she is going to starve to death that winter
with millions of others. Deep in her body
the ovaries let out her first eggs,
golden as drops of grain.


This is the poem that is-in my opinion- awkwardly written. But I kinda like it. It has a hard meaning to understand..... but its fine. She creates such a deep meaning and she interprets it in another way that I personally could not expect to "see" from a picture.
When I mean see, I mean find a deep meaning. But that's what you expect from a good poet. to read through the lines, and write what you see. Simple as that.

No comments:

Post a Comment